The crux of the matter: revitalization or redevelopment?
The question is how to ensure the development of industrial and communal areas (PKZ), holding more than 15% of the territory of Moscow, has been on the agenda for several years. But despite some iconic projects, only a very few holders may say that they are making effective use of territory and improve the city's image.
In our view, developers in designing concepts should consider the overseas practice of development of industrial areas in metropolitan areas. For example, in cities such as London, New York, Singapore, industrial enterprises are concentrated in certain designated areas (for example, in New York, there are 16 areas named as the Industrial Business Zones). In these areas, there are special incentives are active for the development of relevant sectors of the industrial production. It can be rent concessions, utility payments, credit, taxes. Land not used for production, derived from industrial usage and are used for other purposes of the city. For example, the rules for the deriving of such territories beyond the borders of designated industry areas are approved annually in London. A specially designed agency is usually perform coordination and development of PKZ in foreign countries.
In order for the reorganization of the industrial zones in Moscow and other Russian cities to get the system, but not a point nature, but with this not to led to the total destruction of industrial plants within the city limits, in our view, it is required to:
- clearly identify the need for city in industrial territories and places to house them. Obviously that's not the entire array of existing industrial zones is necessary to meet the needs of the city in workplace;
- determine entitlements to priority industries for the companies of which will be located in industrial zones (these could be concessions on land, tax preferences, administrative support for new investors in construction of new utilities);
- analyze a formed land reserve to determine the best use for the city, such as the placement of objects of transport, social services, recreation, housing;
- coordinate actions with potential investors, the current land users and executive authorities to establish the Agency for industrial areas development;
- implement different mechanisms for the withdrawal of inefficient owners and support the development of territories (from higher rental value to direct ransom with the prospect of further sale to investors);
- active use of architectural competitions when choosing the direction of redevelopment of industrial areas for its better integration in the urban space.